Amid reports of bomb threats at schools across Ontario during the past two days, Ottawa police responded to an anonymous bomb threat at the Ottawa Jewish Community School on Tuesday afternoon.
School was just closing for the day when the bomb threat was delivered.
“Our school is thankful to the Ottawa Police Service that were immediately contacted and promptly initiated a thorough investigation, which found there was no credible threat to the school or the Jewish community campus,” head of school Jon Mitzmacher said in a release.
“The incident is a tragic reminder that the Jewish community must remain vigilant at a time of increased anti-semitism in not only the Middle East, but also here in Canada and around the world.”
Ottawa Police confirmed the incident and said they remain in close contact with community members and the matter remains under investigation.
Neither the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board nor the Ottawa Catholic School Board were targeted, but numerous boards across the province were on high alert after also receiving bomb threats late Tuesday.
Four school boards in Timmins were closed on Wednesday.
“The threats targeted multiple school boards across northeast and northwest regions, demanding payment,” the Ontario Provincial Police said in a release delivered Wednesday morning. “In (addition) to local officers, the OPP cyber investigation team is engaged.”
The Conseil des ecoles catholiques du Centre-Est, which includes schools in the Ottawa area, acknowledged receiving a bomb threat, but police have recommended against either closing or evacuating schools.
In a statement issued in French Wednesday afternoon, the board said “as a safety measure, all students and staff in our schools have been directed to places of shelter within our communities. Since then, in collaboration with the police forces, it has been agreed that the students can return to their school. CSDCEO schools will be open (Thursday).”
The Upper Canada District School Board, which did not receive any threats, is taking additional precautions.
“Although police have indicated there is no threat to any Upper Canada District School Board schools, out of an abundance of caution, there will be extra vigilance and safety measures in place,” said a post on the board’s website.
“All external doors will be locked, which will be a change at our secondary schools, and extra attention will be paid to those who are seeking to enter the building.”
Students were kept indoors throughout the day.